Slovo o Polku Igorove Online?

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Wed Jan 31 15:44:52 UTC 2001

I am sorry to make this comment without the benefit of reading your book
or the article to which you refer.  As I understand, Oljas Sulejmenov in
his book "Az i ja" (published about 30 years ago) quiet convincingly
showed impossibility of any forgery of the Slovo in the XIX century or
earlier in view of the Old Turk customs described there which he had
discovered. The corresponding linguistic layer would have to be introduced
in the original document by its creator. To show that "Slovo" was forged,
one must explain then how the Sulejmenov's discovery would be consistent
with an assumption of forgery. I am just wondering if you or anybody else
were able to overcome the Sulejmenov's argument.

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu>