Slovo o Polku Igorove Online?

Keenan, Edward KeenanE at DOAKS.ORG
Wed Jan 31 20:04:44 UTC 2001

I certainly agree with Dean about Az i ia.  To what he says I would add four
small glosses: 1) still the best study of turcica in the Slovo is Karl
Menges' Oriental elements (in Russian or English), where the author's
conclusion are extremely tentative, for the most part; 2) many of the
allegedly Turkic elements, as I try to show in my book, are not Turkic at
all; 3) it's not as easy as some have thought to prove that something known
in the 12th century was not known in the 18th; 4) I don't think I have
claimed that JD knew much Turkic, but he certainly know all the other things
needed to concoct the text.

ELK