Russian pronunciation query

Thu Jul 12 12:16:56 UTC 2001

Deer Seelangers,

It's been a long time since I heard anyone say "с днём рождения" (I work
with written texts and have little opportunity for contact with the
spoken language) and I was wondering if you could clear something up for
me.

I assume the "с" is pronounced [з] because of the following "д."
Should I also assume that because it occurs between "с" ("з") and "н,"
the "д" is silent? In other words, do we get [знём ражжения]?

Thanks.

Same as above, in transliteration for the Cyrillic-crippled

It's been a long time since I heard anyone say "s dnem rozhdeniya" (I
work with written texts and have little opportunity for contact with the
spoken language) and I was wondering if you could clear something up for
me.

I assume the "s" is pronounced [z] because of the following "d."
Should I also assume that because it occurs between "s" ("z") and "n,"
the "d" is silent? In other words, do we get [znyom razhzheniya]?

Thanks.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com