Russian pronunciation query

elizabeth ginzburg eginzbur at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Jul 12 15:09:35 UTC 2001

Dear Paul Gallagher,
we have a nice translation of the famous story about a baby elephant an a
crocodile, written by R.K. When the crocodile pulled the elephant's nose,
the latter said in Russian of course:
otpustite boi dos, bde zhe bol'do, to est' otpustite moi nos, mne zhe
bol'no.
When I say <Sdnyom>, I produce the same sound D I would have if had
dasmork, i.e. nasmork. At least this is what my nose feels. ia vsegda
doveriaiu svoemu nosu.
Liza