Russian pronunciation query

Jeff Holdeman holdeman.2 at OSU.EDU
Thu Jul 12 15:46:42 UTC 2001

Dear Paul,

With "S dnyom rozhdeniia", the literary pronunciation will be [zdn].
Your intuition (or familiarity with pronunciation rules) is good,
however.  In the middle of words like prazdnik, the -zdn- is
simplified to -zn-.  Seemingly, since the [zdn] in S dnyom crosses a
word boundary, the [zdn] is kept in literary pronunciation.  However,
in rapid speech and in casual speech, I encounter "S dnyom" as the
simplified [snyom] quite frequently.

Kostya/Chris Tessone wrote:

>  When I say it, I usually produce a glottal stop for the "d" at least,
>  but it's certainly not articulated by the tongue.

He should have said "nasal plosive".  There is full closure with the
[d] and the release comes with the [n], "as in 'zadniy'", as you
pointed out in your first example.  I would expect that most English
speakers have this in the word "kidney".

(On a side note, in your transliterated section [my computer doesn't
like your Cyrillic at all, unfortunately], you have [razhzhen-] for
rozhden-; it should be [razhden-].)

Jeff

Jeff Holdeman
The Ohio State University