Latin

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Fri Jul 13 12:10:56 UTC 2001

>----------
>  >From: Natalia Pylypiuk <natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA>
>  >To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
>  >Subject: alogia (2)
>  >Date: Don, 12. Jul 2001 18:50 Uhr
>  >

>  > If Epiphanii Slavynec'kyj translates the Latin term
>  > "alogia"
>it is originally a Greek term
>  Best regards
>Rolf Fieguth

Like so many other words, it is of Greek origin.
But I am dealing with a Latin -- Slavonic dictionary.
And given the superficial attention accorded to Greek
in Ukrainian confraternity schools (as in the Western
model that inspired them), the word more than likely
came into early-modern Ukrainian culture via Latin
rather than the Greek.  Such was the case with this
particular word in England.

Cheers,
Natalia Pylypiuk