"s dnem rozhdeniya"

Valery Belyanin vbelyanin at MTU-NET.RU
Fri Jul 13 10:54:49 UTC 2001

Dear, L-Soft list server at CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK/CIS (1.8d),
"z dnem razhdeniya" really may be read as "znemrazhdEn`a"
since
- s becomes z before d
- d+n make a little bit nazal sound.
- niya sounds like n'a in spoken speech.
at least I was taught so 20 years ago :)

Truly Yours, Valery Belyanin,
Professor of Russian language
Moscow State University http://www.cie.ru,
Scientific editor of the site www.textology.ru
Co-author of the project http://vaal2000.newmail.ru
vbelyanin at mtu-net.ru Friday, July 13, 2001

Friday, July 13, 2001, 12:14:34 AM, you wrote:
> [...]
L-Soft> It's been a long time since I heard anyone say "s dnem rozhdeniya" (I
L-Soft> work with written texts and have little opportunity for contact with the
L-Soft> spoken language) and I was wondering if you could clear something up for
L-Soft> me.
L-Soft> I assume the "s" is pronounced [z] because of the following "d."
L-Soft> Should I also assume that because it occurs between "s" ("z") and "n,"
L-Soft> the "d" is silent? In other words, do we get [znyom razhzheniya]?
L-Soft> Thanks. Paul B. Gallagher