plastic bags

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Mon Jul 16 13:05:20 UTC 2001

I do not have Collins' dictionary but I guess it refers to KUL'.
Etymology of "kuljok" is, of course, from that word but the meaning is
different depending on the region.
As I have already mentioned, in some regions, it does follow the
etymology with the meaning of just a small bag. However, in the Moscow
region, it would mean only a special type of conic-shaped bags that one
would make from a square sheet (e.g., of paper) when holding one of the
corners and wrapping the rest around forming a cone, and then bending
it near the vertex to prevent unwrapping. This type of easy-to-make
containers is very popular among sellers who sell on farm markets.

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu>