your mail

David T. Murphy murphydt at SLU.EDU
Mon Jul 30 01:16:16 UTC 2001

Dear Brett Cooke,
        A belated note of thanks for you assistance in the matter of money.
Please accept my apologies for the tardy reply--I left the day of your
message and only now have returned home.
        As it turned out, I cashed travelers checks for both dollars and
roubles in St. Petersburg, used an ATM card there as well, and exchanged
dollars for roubles in Moacow. All went well.
        Thanks again for the advice.

        Best, David

>Brett Cooke here--with only a partial answer to your list of questions>
>
>If you wish to trade in travellers checks for cash, I suggest you go to
>Vneshtorgbank on Novy Arbat, same side of the street as Dom Knigi, about
>two blocks west. They charge a comission of only 1%, which I regard as an
>excellent deal. I was able to obtain $8000 on one transaction. However, it
>is best to avoid them on Monday mornings, when they have a lot of
>customers. I recommend American Express checks because they have offices
>in Moscow (about at two blocks SW of the Mayakovsky statue) and St.
>Petersburg (Evropejsky Hotel).
>
>        I find that few vendors take Amex cards. Visa is accepted in many
>places, but it is hard to avoid carrying lots of cash in your pocket.
>There are a number of banks that will accept either or both for cash--but
>I do not know the terms.
>
>        Hope this is a help.
>
>Brett Cooke
>Texas A&M University
>
>On Fri, 6 Jul 2001 murphydt at SLU.EDU wrote:
>
>> Dear Colleagues,
>>
>>         Could any of you provide me with the latest information on how one
>> obtains dollars in St. Petersburg and Moscow?
>>
>>         More specifically, are there limits on the number of dollars that
>> one can obtain at the American Express offices in these cities? Are those
>> limits per transaction?
>>
>>         What about travelers checks? Not for use at stores, etc., but just
>> at the Amex office?
>>
>>         What about ATM cards? Necessary? Advisable?
>>        What about ATM cards? Necessary? Advisable?
>>
>>         What about credit cards or debit cards? Necessary? Advisable?
>>
>>         Any and all advice is much appreciated.
>>
>>         Thank you, Dave Murphy

>                http://members.home.net/lists/seelangs/

David T. Murphy, Ph.D., Director                        Phone: (314) 977-7180
Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies             Fax:   (314) 977-3704
Saint Louis University                                  Email: cmrs at slu.edu
221 N. Grand Blvd.                                      Home:  (314) 664-6068
St. Louis, MO 63103-2097