your mail

lbc3432 lbc3432 at UNIX.TAMU.EDU
Sun Jul 8 18:20:34 UTC 2001

Brett Cooke here--with only a partial answer to your list of questions>

If you wish to trade in travellers checks for cash, I suggest you go to
Vneshtorgbank on Novy Arbat, same side of the street as Dom Knigi, about
two blocks west. They charge a comission of only 1%, which I regard as an
excellent deal. I was able to obtain $8000 on one transaction. However, it
is best to avoid them on Monday mornings, when they have a lot of
customers. I recommend American Express checks because they have offices
in Moscow (about at two blocks SW of the Mayakovsky statue) and St.
Petersburg (Evropejsky Hotel).

        I find that few vendors take Amex cards. Visa is accepted in many
places, but it is hard to avoid carrying lots of cash in your pocket.
There are a number of banks that will accept either or both for cash--but
I do not know the terms.

        Hope this is a help.

Brett Cooke
Texas A&M University