Dictionaries on line

Ralph Cleminson ralph.cleminson at PORT.AC.UK
Fri Mar 2 08:32:05 UTC 2001

> As an undergraduate studying Russian I repeatedly looked up an
> expression that was only defined as "he won't burn down the Thames."
> I don't remember the Russian expression, but I've always remembered
> the English (although I'm not sure I understand it).

I've never heard that, but "he'll never set the Thames on fire" is quite a
common expression on this side of the Atlantic.  The Russian
equivalent is "zvezd s neba ne skhvatit".  Both mean that his
achievements will be only moderate.

R.M.Cleminson,
Professor of Slavonic Studies,
University of Portsmouth,
Park Building,
King Henry I Street,
Portsmouth PO1 2DZ
tel. +44 23 92 846143, fax: +44 23 92 846040