Dictionaries on line

Igor Silantev silantev at SSCADM.NSU.RU
Fri Mar 2 16:48:38 UTC 2001

>From the point of teaching practice, an interesting and effective

Sincerely,
Igor Silantev

Novosibirsk State University
Pirogova 11, Novosibirsk, 630090, Russia
tel. +7 3832 397451; fax. +7 3832 303011
email silantev at sscadm.nsu.ru
web http://www.nsu.ru/ssc/siv/english

Edward M Dumanis wrote:
...translator's footnote/endnote is a very good tool to facilitate reading
without doing any adaptation.

Dear Edward,
I agree, more or less, on all points, especially on footnotes, an endangered
species. We should establish a Society for the Protection of the Footnote from
Ignorant and Rapacious Publishers. Modern publishers all hate footnotes and
claim, with no evidence at all, that they deter 'the common reader' from
reading. I see that almost all publishers in the US and UK now insist on
endnotes, if they let you have notes at all. Publishers in continental Europe
seem less hostile. Personally I regard the footnote as an essential in serious
scholarly writing and at its elegant best a minor literary genre and an
indispensible adjunct to gentlemanly literature.
Regards,
Will Ryan