Scholars and Professionals address political leadership of Ukraine

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Thu Mar 8 23:06:50 UTC 2001

Dear Colleagues:

A group of 160 leading scholars and professionals in Ukrainian Studies
and related disciplines from more than 82 different universities,
institutions, and organizations in the United States, Canada, Europe,
Australia, and Japan have called on the political leadership of Ukraine
to uphold its commitment to the rule of law,  due process, and freedom
of the press, expression, and assembly.

In a statement released On March 6-th, they expressed their
serious misgivings regarding the handling of the investigation into
the death of Heorhii Gongadze, the outspoken journalist who
disappeared on September 16, and supported calls for an independent,
full, transparent, and credible investigation of Gongadze's murder
and of all the evidence that has emerged from the case.   "Only an
honest attempt to uncover the truth can restore the country's image
and promise and help Ukraine avoid becoming a pariah in the world
community."

The group also declared its deep concern about the state of civil
rights in Ukraine.  "We deplore the continuing reprisals, threats,
and implicit threats of reprisal against those media, journalists,
students, teachers, and other Ukrainians who dare to speak their
minds openly and freely on the current crisis.  The persistent
efforts to prevent and obstruct peaceful demonstrations raise
disturbing questions about the commitment to freedom of speech and
assembly, which are guaranteed in Ukraine's Constitution." On March
1, just days after President Kuchma had promised a visiting
delegation of U.S. Congressmen that the conflict with the opposition
would not be resolved through force, Ukrainian police tore down a
tent camp in the center of Kyiv which had been erected by protesters
demanding that the President resign over the mysterious death of the
journalist.

The statement is notable in that it represents virtually the entire
spectrum of Ukrainian Studies, both senior scholars as well as junior
faculty and graduate students, members of academic institutions as
well as professional associations and émigré scholarly organizations.
As one of the signatories remarked, "We all share a profound sympathy
for Ukraine.  Our statement does not support any particular political
party or movement. We respect the fact that this crisis can only be
solved by the citizens of Ukraine.  Rather, the statement reflects
our concern regarding certain very worrisome trends in Ukraine and
reaffirms our support for a basic set of democratic principles that
Ukrainians themselves have professed."

The petition is part of a growing reaction in the West to the
deepening political crisis in Ukraine. On March 1, in an open letter
in the Financial Times, George Soros urged President Kuchma to step
aside so that the investigation could go forward.

STATEMENT  of  SCHOLARS  and  PROFESSIONALS

We, the undersigned, scholars and professionals working in the field of
Ukrainian Studies and related disciplines in the United States, Canada,
Europe, Australia, and Japan, all of us sharing a profound concern for the
well-being of Ukraine and its citizens, its institutions, its record on
human rights, freedom of the press, and its overall standing in the
community of democratic and law-abiding nations, feel it essential to
express our views on the present crisis there.  We know that this crisis can
only be solved by the citizens of Ukraine, but we believe that overarching
moral issues, the need for solidarity with our Ukrainian colleagues and
friends, and our own involvement in Ukraine oblige us to speak out.

We are deeply troubled by the murder of the journalist Heorhii Gongadze and
the handling of the investigation into his death. The long delay in
determining and admitting the identity of the victim and, with it, the very
fact of the crime, has raised serious questions about the independence and
the impartiality of the investigation.

We are concerned that this murder is only the most visible instance of
violence against and harassment of independent journalists, politicians and
other prominent Ukrainians.  The questions surrounding the murders of Vadym
Hetman and  Jevhen Shcherban, as well as the deaths of Vadym Bojko,
Vjacheslav Chornovil, and many others remain unanswered, with little or no
known progress in their investigations.

We are disturbed that anticorruption legislation continues to be enforced
selectively, mostly against government opponents and low-level officials.

We deplore the continuing reprisals, threats, and implicit threats of
reprisal against those journalists, students, teachers, and other Ukrainians
who dare to speak their minds openly and freely on the current crisis.  The
persistent efforts to prevent and obstruct peaceful demonstrations raise
disturbing questions about the commitment to freedom of speech and assembly,
which are guaranteed in Ukraine's Constitution.

We are deeply concerned that Ukrainian political and economic independence
and sovereignty, already endangered by widespread corruption, may be further
degraded as national interests are sacrificed to narrow self interests.

We fully support all calls for an independent, full, transparent, and
credible investigation of Gongadze's murder and of all the evidence that has
emerged from this case.  Those responsible, no matter what their position,
must be held to account.

We also express our strong support for attempts to reform the political
process and strengthen civil society, to establish a genuine separation of
and balance between the executive,  legislative, and judicial branches of
government, as well as a truly open, honest, and accountable system of
governance.

We reject the claim that the current political crisis has done nothing but
besmirch Ukraine's image.  On the contrary, it has given the world-and
us-the hope that Ukraine is capable of mature self-reflection, strong and
honest criticism where necessary, and meaningful reform.  We are convinced
that only the rule of law, due process, and genuine freedom of the press,
expression, and assembly without fear of reprisal-combined with serious
political dialogue-can help lead Ukraine out of this crisis.  Only an honest
attempt to uncover the truth can restore the country's image and promise and
help Ukraine avoid becoming a pariah in the world community.

We express our solidarity with all those in Ukraine who are struggling for
these goals and  we extend to them our deep moral support.  Democracy, as
they have reminded us, is a process-and sometimes a very difficult one-not
just an empty platitude.

We call on the President, the Prime Minister, the Parliament, and the
Supreme Court of Ukraine to take meaningful steps towards ensuring the full
integrity of this process. And we urge our own governments to support
Ukrainians at this critical moment in the history of their young democracy.

[signatures]
For the Ukrainian text of the statement, the list of signatures,
and press contacts, visit:
http://www.ukrainianstudies.org/petition.htm

Anyone scholar or professional in Ukrainian Studies or a related
discipline who wants to add their name to the Statement of Scholars
and Professionals can do so by  writing to:
      <UkrainianStudies at hotmail.com>