Massie

Emily Tall mllemily at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Tue Mar 27 17:09:48 UTC 2001

One may agree with Michael on Massie, but, you know, "na bezryb'e i rak
ryba." What else is there? As far as sophistication goes, I taught an
undergraduate course in Rus. culture at SUNY/Buffalo, and there was no
sophistication as far as I could see (well, there were no prerequisites)
so the students knew NOTHING about Russia. As far as Massie's uncritical
bias goes, one can discuss it in class. She writes well and she conveys
her enthusiasm, which you can't say about other books I have looked at.
Cheers all, Emily Tall