Accessing Dollars In Moscow

Donald Loewen djloewen at STUDENTS.WISC.EDU
Fri May 18 20:26:09 UTC 2001

Yes, it's possible to get dollars at ATM's.  One thing to be aware of: just
last year there was a very well-oiled number-grabbing operation that seemed
to operate out of Moscow.  During our last year in Moscow (July '99 to June
2000) many of our Moscow-based European friends received unsolicited
notices from their home-country banks, advising them that their debit and
credit cards had been cancelled as a precaution and that they were being
issued new cards.  I personally knew three people who were affected.  The
actual source of the problem was never publicly identified, as far as I
recall.  There was a series of articles about the problem in _The Moscow
Times_ about a year ago; I don't know if it has been a problem
recently.  We had been relying on the ATM method until then, and switched
to something else after that.
Good luck,
Don