Copyright Query -- English to Russian

Michael Trittipo tritt002 at MAROON.TC.UMN.EDU
Thu May 31 12:53:40 UTC 2001

<< Perhaps as a lawyer you would . . . point out . . . the language in US
copyright law that unequivocally refers to the making of translations as
pertaining to acts other than publication? >>

Sure.  I'll write again this evening.  This a.m. it's off to work, and the
statute books are there, anyway, not here, if I'm to quote dead-on.

<< "Conception" belongs to an entirely different branch of law ... >>

I don't recall using the word.  The classic copyright distinction (albeit
with some open points) is between idea and expression.

>Also - Maybe the thread should be clarified: I don't believe anyone was
>talking about publishing . . . Rather, it seems that advice for dealing with
>the legal regime of the Russian Federation was being sought.

That's why I quoted the original question.  It said nothing about what
country's laws; it merely mentioned a language.  That's why I make the
caution about the not-unforeseeable case of someone making an En>Ru xlation
in the US.  If the original question had said "under Russian law" or the
like, I'd not have answered.

>. . .  seems to be rather little respect for American
>copyright law in Russia . . .

Of that I have no doubt.  But US law can reach US translators and non-US
translators working in the US, regardless what their language pairs or
directions.

>p.s. - does "the factual predicate to the non-extant exception" actually
>mean anything?

Only if the sentence "Even if there were a legal exception as you say (but
it isn't), the facts that are required in order for it to apply don't
exist" does.

Til this evening.

Michael Trittipo
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA