The Czech prosecute political views

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu
Tue Nov 6 07:14:04 UTC 2001

Unfortunately, I have deleted the Jan Culik's message to quote it exactly
but, as I remember, he complained about being "somewhat reprimanded" by
the list owner.
Since Alex Rudd has not replied on the storm of messages against his
alleged censorship that followed, I hope he would not mind if I put my two
cents in his defense.
I think that the problem is in a very simple misunderstanding.
I am absolutely sure that Alex Rudd has never intended to censor the
freedom of speech of the participants of this forum as long as the speech
is relevant to the purpose of this forum.
He had squarely expressed the rules on postings here as well as the
necessity to abide those rules. I am sure that the reason for his
reprimand was his perception that those rules had not been followed.
Let me remind everybody that Alex Rudd wrote us about his concern that
the list archives might run out of space that CUNY had allocated for this
list. I think that we all should express our gratitude for his
volunteering to do this list maintenance.
My understanding is that the reason for the "reprimand" was Alex Rudd's
perception that the original posting had nothing to do with the nature of
this list, and was purely politically motivated. We all know that the
members of this list can be on different sides of the political spectrum,
and politically motivated postings can indeed cause a polemic that would
have a questionable relevance to the purpose of this list's existence and
which will take a large portion of the reserved for this list space. So,
Alex Rudd was trying to act in the best interests of everybody in his
attempt to limit the postings only to the subject of this list.
However, it does not mean that his perception was correct. He himself
announced earlier that he was not professionally related to this list's
subject, and volunteered to keep the maintenance just to fill the vacuum
to save this list's very existence. So, it should not be a surprise if
many list members disagree with his view. I guess that if Jan Culik had
simply explained the reasons for his postings to the list owner, Alex Rudd
would agree with him on its relevance to the list, and, probably,
apologize for his "reprimand." And then all of their correspondence would
stay off the list saving our valuable disk space, and we would not see the
storm of messages in the support of the value of Jan Culik's postings and
their relevance to the list, the statements which are probably
self-evident to the absolute majority of the list members (if not to all
us).
Of course, it is always preferred to give a link to the existing text on
the Web rather than re-post it here if we want to save our disk space.
However, if it is not possible, we need this opportunity to get the
information directly from our list, and then the usage of the disk space
is clearly justified.

With my respect to all of this list members (I hope that they would
forgive me for the language I use sometimes in my messages - no offense is
ever intended)

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu>