Chechnya and Western policy.

Adassovsky Georges gadassov at IFRANCE.COM
Tue Oct 2 17:54:32 UTC 2001

FROM  "International Herald Tribune", September 28, (Joseph Fitchett).

>An abrupt shift in Western policy on Chechnya, syggesting that Moscow should have a freer hand in dealing with separatist insurgents, highlights a nuance in the anti-terrorist campaign of the Bush administration.
In a step widely seen as U.S. accomodation with Moscow over the breackaway province, the White House called on the Chechen rebels on wednesday to break their ties with international terrorism, notably with Osama Bin Laden.
a compromise seemed to be in the making in which Moscow would be spared western pressure over its tactics in the separatist province.
Going even further with this new Western approach, German Chancellor Gerhard Shroeder said wednesday that the situation in Chechnya needed to be "judged in a more subtil way" by the international community.
The Bush approach is welcomed in Europe, according to senior officials in Berlin, London, and Paris.
"It means that we are not entangling everyone in campaigns in Ulster or about the tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka or Basque terrorists in Spain or terrorists in Latin America or indeed guerillas in Chechnya", a British official said.>