QUERY: Russian women married to British servicemen WW2

Riniker riniker at PETERLINK.RU
Thu Oct 4 14:26:14 UTC 2001

Dear Mrs Hanna,

I can't help you  with any facts, I just would like to turn your attention to the short story "Missis Katya Dzhekson" of Andrey Sedykh (Yakov Moiseevich Tsvibak ) which may be of some interest to you and your research.

The plot of this rather sentimental story (nevertheless highly appreciated by Ivan Bunin, who wrote the foreword to Sedykh's book "Zvezdochety s Bosfora", New York, 1948, where the story appeard) is quite easy: a Russian girl was saved from the deportation back to the USSR by an British officer who offered her to marry him (the marriage was, of course, noble, i.e. fictive).

I dare to bother you with all this because the story (like all the writings of  Sedych) is obviously based on real facts, so is probably even the whole narrative situation (the Russian girl tells her story to the author in a bar in New York).

Yours sincerely,
Daniel Riniker