artel

Deanna Chiasson dchiasson at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Fri Oct 12 11:08:44 UTC 2001

Does anyone know -- do artels still exist in Russia (since the demise
of the U.S.S.R.)? What about Ukraine or Belarus? That is, would one use
the word "artel" in reference to an existing institution? (I'm actually
interested in its English use -- it's been a word in English since the
1880s, but I will assume that current  Slavic uses carry over into
English as in the past.

Deanna Chiasson

Deanna Chiasson
Editorial Department