artel

Yoshimasa Tsuji yamato at YT.CACHE.WASEDA.AC.JP
Wed Oct 17 07:22:21 UTC 2001

Hello,
Let me answer you.

>Does anyone know -- do artels still exist in Russia (since the demise
>of the U.S.S.R.)? What about Ukraine or Belarus? That is, would one use
>the word "artel" in reference to an existing institution? (I'm actually
>interested in its English use -- it's been a word in English since the
>1880s, but I will assume that current  Slavic uses carry over into
>English as in the past.
Yes, artels do exist in Russia now, but have changed most of their
names. They renamed themselves to "tovarishchestvo" or
"kooperativ" in 1991--1995.
   Of course little has changed as to their function.
I have never heard the word artel used in reference to the "kooperativ" in
the last eight years in Moscow and Petersburg: they usually say,
"masterskaja", "magazin", etc.

Cheers,
Tsuji