native American, Navajo

Svetlana Grenier greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Mon Oct 29 20:40:20 UTC 2001

Francoise,

A recent edition of Ozhegov dictionary gives "indeitsy" as the equivalent of
all Native Americans, except the Eskimos and the Aleuts (that was the first
thing that came to mind, or also "amerikanskie indeitsy", but I wanted to
check).  Navajo is spelled "navaxo".  So I would say your student is "indeets
[iz plemeni] navaxo".

Svetlana Grenier