cnn - 10/29/01 - "Soviet Filmmaker dies"

cheryl07 cheryl07 at SATX.RR.COM
Tue Oct 30 18:20:03 UTC 2001

> On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Max Pyziur wrote:
> <snip>... indicated that Grigory Chukhrai was one of the Soviet Union's better > > filmmakers.

     Thanks for the notice of Chukrai's death.  "Ballad of a Soldier"
was
one of the first Soviet films I saw in my Russian department's film
series back in 1969 or 1970.  I noticed just the other day that my local
public library has a copy in their foreign film video section.  One of
the things I remember being surprised by was a scene of distribution of
canned meat clearly marked "USA" (or something similar).

   BTW -- one more addition to Russian in movies -- by accident I found
myself watching "Kim" on TCM yesterday, and, to my astonishment, when
Kim is located up near the Khyber Pass (that was one of the reasons I
kept watching), what do I hear but Russian being spoken by the two
sinister "scientist" characters Kim is spying on.  There were several
scenes where they spoke Russian to each other, rapidly, and on the cast
list, I noted they had Russian names, though not famous ones (at least
to me).
    This was the 1950 "Kim" with Dean Stockwell in the title role and
Errol Flynn as Mahboub Ali.  They kept talking about 'the Great Game",
which made me sad, seeing that we are now dealing with some of the
unforeseen consequences of that "Game".  Anyway, one more movie for the
list.
Cheryl Boone-Delgado
San Antonio, Texas