koshka

Kimberly Fedchak kfedchak at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 5 15:14:52 UTC 2001

The Russian families I have known have forgone the litter altogether,
placing a shallow, rectanglar metal "miska" close to the toilet.  They
train the cats to use this pan by putting some dirt in at the beginning,
and gradually they decrease the quantity until it is gone.  In place of
the dirt (would they call it pesok?) there are little strips of newspaper
(to absorb the liquid and partially neutralize the smell?)

I'm guessing Russians would call our litter "pesok" although it is not
much like sand.  But I, too, would like to know the answer for sure!

Kimberly Fedchak
Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
Swarthmore College