koshka

Steve Marder asred at HOME.COM
Thu Sep 6 03:03:05 UTC 2001

vera wrote:

> Privet Listers,
> Could anyone help me with the word for "cat litter" in Russian?  Not the cat's toilet, but rather the sandy like, small clay rocks that one puts into the cat's toilet.
> Thanks in advance,
> Veronica
> jastreb_v at lycos.com

Vera,

I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, but the short answer would
appear to be "napolnitel' (dlya koshach'ego tualeta/koshach'ix
tualetov)". "Podstilka" can also do the job. As I'm sure you know, the
"filler" can be "sandy like, small clay rocks" but, depending on
circumstances, it can also be many other things, including strips of
paper, toilet paper (!), sand, sawdust, and vegetable or fruit peelings.
Commercially packaged cat litter (domestically produced as well as
imported) is available in the Russian Republic in the form of granules
of various sizes.

Steve Marder