URLs for encoding

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Thu Sep 6 14:46:06 UTC 2001

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Michael Denner wrote:

> For the Lang.exe file (enables Windows to handle Cyrillic):
> http://support.microsoft.com/download/support/mslfiles/Lang.exe
>
> For the keyboard drivers for a homophonic keyboard:
> http://www.as.ua.edu/gnrn/winfonts/Kbdru1.kbd
>     and the help file: http://www.as.ua.edu/gnrn/winfonts/Readme.txt

I tried to install the homophonic Russian keyboard for Windows 95 using
these references but failed to accomplish it.

1) File "Lang.exe" could not be located.
The search of the Microsoft Web Site gives the following message:

        Your search for lang.exe did not find any matches. You may want to review
        the search words you entered to ensure they are not misspelled.

2) Readme.txt written by David Powelstock refers to "Russian" and "Russian
(Typewriter)" keyboard layouts.

I have only "Russian."

3) It also refers to kbdrus.kbd and kbdrus1.kbd in the windows\system
subdirectory.

I have only kbdru.kbd and kbdru1.kbd.

3) I tried to replace then kbdru1.kbd with the downloaded file.
It did not change the standard layout even after rebooting.

Any ideas?