The world has changed

Katya Hokanson hokanson at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sat Sep 15 17:57:54 UTC 2001

Dear Colleagues,

I have been reading messages from both sides of the debate and while
I understand the point of view of those who think we should stay
"on-topic," the world has now changed in every way.  My own feeling
is that we need every possible forum, especially those populated by
intelligent and thoughtful people, people who know multiple languages
and are well-traveled, to make connections with each other and think
about the issues at hand.  In my own work I have been very interested
in the literature written during the Russian conquest of the Caucasus
in the nineteenth century, and the issues which I have encountered
now take on a new dimension after Tuesday's events.  No doubt as
things return to "normal," we will get back "on-topic" again.  I
belong to several listservs/bulletin boards that pertain to topics as
diverse as breast cancer and the parents of four-year olds, and no
one is chastising anyone for being "off-topic" because these events
are on everyone's mind, and indeed in many cases affect us directly
(the groups are normally fairly strict).  My own brother is providing
lighting at night for the recovery workers (he's a film gaffer) and
I'm a bit worried he might get injured, although am glad he is able
to help.

  I for one would like to better understand the way in which the U.S.
is perceived elsewhere in the world and how its actions are
perceived.  I know that for those many of us who teach, the issues
and aftermath of what has occurred is going to be a major topic of
discussion among students this year, and we need to help steer our
students in the right direction.  I want to know, for example, how
will some of you handle discussing such matters in class?  To those
who are already teaching (my university is on the quarter system and
hasn't begun yet), are you discussing the events of the week?

Sincerely,

Katya Hokanson
University of Oregon