Nine, forty, crescent/cross

Francoise Rosset frosset at wheatonma.edu
Wed Sep 26 18:50:40 UTC 2001

I too would like to hear an authoritative explanation of the
crescent/cross motif. And why it appears only on *some* churches.

I don't know about 40, but I have something about 4 and 9.
For what it's worth, there apparently is an association in Japan
between the numbers 4 and 9 and death. My source for this is my
stepmother, who is Japanese (and lives there, not an immigrant);
she tells me that no Japanese patient will accept a hospital room
with 4 or 9 -- unless they are only mildly ill and feel safe --
because of this belief or superstition.

I've never hand a chance to check on the extent of this or the
rationale behind it. I vaguely remember it had something to do
with the sound of the numbers  [four is "shi" and nine "chyu",
I believe]  and the words for "death."
-FR

Francoise Rosset                          phone:  (508) 286-3696
Russian and Russian Studies               fax:    (508) 286-3640
Wheaton College                           e-mail: frosset at wheatonma.edu
Norton, Massachusetts 02766