Nine, forty, crescent/cross

william ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Wed Sep 26 22:37:23 UTC 2001

Dear Genevra,

1. Not only Russian, also S. Slav, and as far as I can recall without a
reference book, Greek also. In the medieval West too it was customary to
have
requiem masses on the 3rd, 9th and 30th day after burial and also on the
anniversary. On three and forty the motivation is surely Biblical:
'after three
days he rose again', and as recorded in Acts 1.3. Jesus showed himself
for
forty days between his death and ascension. On nine I don't know. The
Polnyi
pravoslavnyi enstiklopedicheskii slovar' (1913), says that the old
Russian
sinodiki explained the 3, 9, and 40 days represent distinct phases in
the
decomposition of a corpse. This strangely rationalist explanation is
improbable
given the wide range of climatic conditions between the Mediterranean
and the
White Sea. In fact the 20th day, half year and year were also
celebrated.

2. Don't know, but quite possible since 'sorok' is a 'rokovoi' number
and the
40 days are involved in many superstitions. Dal' quotes the proverb
'sorokovoi
medved' okhotnika kalechit'. And you will remember the film Sorok
pervyi.

3. Lots of biblical associations - see any Bible concordance. In
particular the
one I quote above. But if you look in the literature of numerology you
will
find that most numbers have magical interpretations

4. The upturned crescent is common in Western heraldry to indicate
someone who
went on the crusades and certainly indicates victory over Islam there. A
resonant theme! I think the same is true in Russia. Are not the
crescents
beneath crosses a late introduction in Russia (18th century?) and mostly
found
on the tops of Russian churches and not in icons or miniatures; and I am
not
aware that Grail legends had any particular currency in Russia.

When I get to my library tomorrow I'll try to check out a few points.

Will Ryan

Genevra Gerhart wrote:

> Dear Seelangites,
> Ignorance rears its ugly head, again! Could you help put it down?
>
> 1.What is the source of the Russian custom of commemorating a death on the
> third, ninth, and fortieth days?
> 2. I am told that the association of 40 and the death commemoration has had
> a negative effect on the celebration of one's 40th birthday in Russia. Is
> that association common?
> 3. The number 40 seems to have other associations,  40 days and 40 nights,
> and other connections with the Bible?, Ali-baba and the 40 thieves? Is it
> somebody's magic number?
> 4.  The Orthodox cross is sometimes seen with its base at the bottom of a
> semi-circle (crescent?, grail?). I have been told that the semi-circle plus
> the cross represents Islamic Turkey and the Orthodox victory thereover; and
> also I have been told that that explanation is ridiculous, that the
> semi-circle is a grail "graal'" to collect blood at the base of the cross.
> Is either explanation at least in the ball park?
> Thanks,
>
> Genevra Gerhart
>
> http://www.members.home.net/ggerhart
> New email address: ggerhart at home.com
> 206-329-0053

>                 http://members.home.net/lists/seelangs/

W. F. Ryan, MA, DPhil, FBA, FSA
Warburg Institute (School of Advanced Study, University of London)
Woburn Square, LONDON  WC1H 0AB
tel: 020 7862 8940 (direct)
tel: 020 7862 8949 (switchboard)
fax: 020 7862 8939