Nine, forty, crescent/cross

Russell Valentino russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Wed Sep 26 22:57:16 UTC 2001

The upturned crescent can be found in early Russian architecture as well,
e.g., St. Demitrius in Vladimir (late 12th century) and in the
Transfiguration Church in Pereslavl-Zalessky (mid-12th century), which
makes the suggestion that it should designate triumph over "Islamic Turkey"
a bit of a stretch. Over Islam perhaps. Even when there is no crescent per
se, there is a short, uncurved transept at the base of most Russian cupola
crosses, suggesting, in fact, a base.