The Idea of Europe in Russian Culture

Subhash.Jaireth at AGSO.GOV.AU Subhash.Jaireth at AGSO.GOV.AU
Thu Sep 27 22:54:46 UTC 2001

Dear Friends,

In 1969, I went to Moscow as a student. The following ten years were spent
their learning different things. When I returned to India, I realised that
for my Indian friends going to Russia was not the same as going to Europe.
Although Russia was/is in Europe (geographically and to some extent
historically) it is still not Europe. Reading Blok, Mandelshtam, Herzen,
Dostoevskii amongst others, I found the same ambivalence towards locating
Europe in Russia. As if most Russian intellectuals were struggling to find
the amount of Asia and Europe in Russia, and within this dichotomy Asia, in
general was either trivialised, demonised or romanticised.

I am in the process of exploring this question in some detail and I know
amongst the Seelangers there would be many who would have thought about it.
I would be grateful if they could share some insights. For starters I would
appreciate one or two so called classical texts on the question, texts which
put this question in historical context.

The first paragraph of my message contains sweeping generalisations. Please
excuse me for that.

Thanks and best wishes

Subhash