FW: [SEELANGS] Mac System X and Cyrillic keyboards

David Andrews andrews at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Thu Dec 12 20:10:09 UTC 2002

Dear SEELANGERS:

Several people requested that I reply to the list if/when I was able to
resolve my problem with Cyrillic keyboard layouts and Mac System X, and I am
happy to be able to do so now.  Ben Rifkin and Dianna Murphy both forwarded
me the instructions below; I followed the ones for 10.2, and am now up and
running.  (Thanks also to the two other people who sent me similar
instructions.)

As you will read, all you have to do is add ".rsrc" (without the quotes) to
the name of a keyboard layout and add it into the keyboard layout folder in
the user's library.  Then you can go and select the keyboard under the
International icon in Systems Preferences, and the keyboard will appear in
the menu just like before.  One caveat: At first I was having a problem
because I was trying to add fonts and keyboards to the library in the System
X folder itself, and I kept getting the message that these folders could not
be modified.  Where they had to go was in the library under the "Users"
folder.  This is something different for Mac users, who have always been
used to being able to modify the system directly.

Best regards,
David Andrews