A question

R_L roman.leibov at UT.EE
Sun Dec 15 14:31:32 UTC 2002

Sunday, December 15, 2002, 2:09:52 PM, Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list wrote:

AP> Dear Elena,
AP> That's all I could find: http://www.stanford.edu/~aeakin/verse.html

AP> dol'nik
AP> 1-2 syllable interval between ictuses, at least one interval per line is
AP> different from the rest
The last statement is erroneous (in "Vxozhu ja v temnye
xramy" the 4nd line is obviously amphibrachic).

AP> I am afraid they just transliterate it.
Is there really reason for fear? :)
Theу do, indeed:
"Not deathless verse, to be sure, but not incompetent either, I
would submit. It has a certain nervous energy---rendered, if
anything, more powerful through a fairly strict adherence to
iambic pentameter, eschewing what Steve Willett and other
Russian-influenced metrical mavens like to term "dolnik."
(But perhaps that's precisely what makes it sound "jingly"
to Jim O'Donnell's ears.)"
http://omega.cohums.ohio-state.edu:8080/hyper-lists/classics-l/00-11-01/0532.html
"The experiment of
Edward McCrorie with a five- or six-beat dolnik (loose iambic)
movement and a regular concluding cadence (/ x x / x) that mimics
that of the hexameter has not been followed by others, though his
version of the Aeneid has a growing audience. "
(http://omega.cohums.ohio-state.edu:8080/hyper-lists/classics-l/00-11-01/0121.html)

--

 R_L

   Три случайных стиха из ЕО: