jat' in Unicode (was Re: Jat' on-line?)

Kevin Hawkins khawkins at WAM.UMD.EDU
Tue Feb 19 22:50:29 UTC 2002

Sorry for the late response -- I'm behind on reading SEELANGS.

Unicode has not deemed jat' irrelevant.  Unicode's Cyrillic character codes
can all be found at http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0400.pdf .  The
capital jat' is 0462, and the lowercase one is 0463.  If you have Windows
2000 or later (maybe NT too -- I can't remember), everything's based on
Unicode, so you should have this letter without needing any special fonts.
You can also get a Unicode font and run it on earlier versions of Windows,
but you won't be able to get to all the characters through Character Map if
you have Windows 98, for example.

In Microsoft's pre-Windows 2000 fonts (before Microsoft adopted Unicode),
jat' is not included.

<Alt> + (some number) works for ASCII code numbers.  I don't know if Windows
2000 still supports them.  If you have any pre-Unicode font that includes
jat' (some font you downloaded, presumably), you can probably access the
jat' with an ASCII sequence.  Try opening that font in Character Map and
clicking once on jat'.  Then look in Character Map's "status bar" to see
what ASCII code shows up.

Kevin Hawkins