OCR Scanners for Russian

James Bailey jobailey at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Mon Jan 7 04:36:19 UTC 2002

Marissa Polsky,
      For what it is worth I have used Finereader for several years.  I
have done a lot of scanning of old articles with mixed Cyrillic and
English.  The results are never perfect but certainly save a lot of time
retyping.  Italic and bold letters are often confused and tables usually do
not keep their shape.  On the whole I am satisfied and the help has been
good.  In the US Smartlink sells the program put out by Abbyy Software
House in Moscow.
      James Bailey