Cyrillic keyboard layout for Windows XP

Brewer, Michael brewerm at U.LIBRARY.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Jan 18 15:54:39 UTC 2002

All,

I have been unable to get any solid information on what keyboard layouts are
available for Windows XP (both through Microsoft and from independent
vendors).  I have used Janko's Cyrillic Keyboard Generator in the past to
create kbd files for my own computer with great success.  In the XP
environment, however, this does not seem to work.  Additionally, these
keyboards will be used by students in a networked environment.  I would also
rather find a more comprehensive product (allowing for various other
non-Slavic languages all as part of a single package).  I know that
Microsoft has Multilingual Support, but, as I recall, beginning with Windows
97, they stopped offering more than one Russian keyboard layout option
(Standard Russian keyboard and a Yawerty type phonetic keyboard).  Does
anyone know if they have one or more phonetic keyboard options in their new
Multilingual package.  I was unable to determine this from their website and
felt more comfortable getting comments from those in the Slavic field.  Any
information would be much appreciated.

Please reply off list.  If there is interest, I can always submit the
answers I receive to the entire list.

Thanks,

Michael Brewer

Michael Brewer