Childlit

Valentina Zaitseva vz2 at NYU.EDU
Mon Jan 21 01:16:25 UTC 2002

Dear Charles,

thank you for your enthusiastic description of The Russian Context, of which I am
one of the 13 contributors. I am also an ardent admirer of the whole idea behind
this work and  am sure that the book will be useful for many purposes, from
academic (heritage speakers,  culture in language curriculum and so on) to
non-academic ones. There are chapters on history, art, geography, science,
government-- all describing links between culture, language  and society...

As for "Childlit" inquiry, I just would like to point out that apart from my
chapters on Russian poetry and prose in quotation,  there is a separate chapter on
children's literature by Robert Rothstein & Halina Weiss (ideal for the US
families with adopted Russian children), with references to foreign literature
that became a part of Russian children's reading list. Also:  Liudmila Pruner's
chapter "Popular entertainment" contains  sections on shows and cartoons for
children; Thomas Garza's chapter on music and dance has sections on songs for
children (from lullaby on); a chapter on Russian drama and theater by Eloise Boyle
includes quotations from Russian plays studied in schools as well as famous lines
from Shakespeare known to every Russian (mostly in Pasternak's translation)...
And, of course, there are Russian proverbs (see Olga Yokoyama's chapter on
proverbs, sayings and their use). Russian children get familiar with them not only
from the speech of adults, but also from  numerous editions of proverbs designed
for preschoolers.

Best regards,
Valentina