Childlit

Lauren Leighton laurengl at PTWI.NET
Mon Jan 21 01:03:17 UTC 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of Charles Mills
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2002 8:50 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: Childlit

Charles: Thank you. You're a peach and so is chudesnaya Genevra.

Dear Lauren (and list),

With regard to children's literature:

Eloise Boyle and Genevra Gerhart (eds.)'s brand new The Russian Context
(Slavica Press, 2001) a chapter by Valentina Zaitseva on just this sort of
thing: the kind of literature every Russian can be assumed to know from
childhood on up, including foreign authors.  I imagine this is only the
first
of many e-mails to make reference to this book as the answer to all our ills
in
the future, and highly recommend it to everyone.  It does for "high" culture
what The Russian's World did for "low", and comes with a CD (readings,
music,
songs, paintings, photographs, sound bites, etc.) to boot.  Get yours while
they're still piping hot!  (This is not a paid endorsement, although I wish
it
were--hint hint.)

Sincerely,

Charles Mills
Knox College

Lauren Leighton wrote:

> I would appreciate any and all recommendations of appropriate readings in
> English translation of Russian children's literature (skazki, byliny,
Krylov