SEELANGS Digest - 22 Jan 2002 to 23 Jan 2002 (#2002-20)

gladney frank y gladney at UX6.CSO.UIUC.EDU
Thu Jan 24 15:42:28 UTC 2002

Eric Laursen asks:

When feminine and neuter nouns drop vowel endings in the genitive plural,
some consonant clusters do NOT add a fill vowel.  Can someone direct me to
a comprehensive list of these clusters (and also of individual words that
are exceptions)?

Even if a comprehensive list exists, there will still be problems in
evaluating it. For instance, the gen. pl. of _igra_ 'game' is listed as
_igr_. I don't think this form is pronounced with [k] and a devoiced [r].
But when it is pronounced with a voiced [g] and voiced [r], the latter
comes out sounding like [@r], i.e., as though the form was spelled _igor_.
The gen. pl. of _kreslo_ 'chair' is spelled _kresel_ while the gen. (pl.)
of _chresla_ 'loins' is spelled _chresl_--but do speakers distinguish the
two?  M. V. Panov touches on these matters starting on p. 172 of his
difficult _Russkaja fonetika_ (M.: Prosveshchenie, 1967).

Frank Y. Gladney