SEELANGS Digest - 22 Jan 2002 to 23 Jan 2002 (#2002-20)

Yoshimasa Tsuji yamato at YT.CACHE.WASEDA.AC.JP
Fri Jan 25 00:26:52 UTC 2002

Hello,
Dr Gladney writes
>evaluating it. For instance, the gen. pl. of _igra_ 'game' is listed as
>_igr_. I don't think this form is pronounced with [k] and a devoiced [r].
>But when it is pronounced with a voiced [g] and voiced [r], the latter
>comes out sounding like [@r], i.e., as though the form was spelled _igor_.

The conception as if "igr" was either prounounced "igr" or "ig at r"
seems to me preposterous: the truth is the word pronounced this way or
that is SPELT "igr". One should not confuse spelling with pronunciation.
They are different matters.

  The word "igra" is classified as "1d" (one dee) in Zaliznjak. If you
have access to digitized version of Zaliznjak or similar ones (there
are freely accessible versions on the internet) you can easily extract
words in that category.

Cheers,
Tsuji