A grammar reference for heritage speakers?

Jeff Holdeman holdeman.2 at OSU.EDU
Mon Jan 28 00:03:59 UTC 2002

Dear Nicole,

You have several options, based on their preparedness.  If they don't
know grammar period, giving them a full Russian reference grammar
might overwhelm them (much like it often does non-heritage learners).
If they don't know the grammatical terms, they probably won't be able
to look things up.

A low-impact introduction to relevant grammar can be provided by
"English Grammar for Students of Russian".  The title is misleading;
it might be more aptly titled "Grammar for Students of Russian with
Examples from English and Russian".

        English Grammar for Students of Russian
        Edwina Jannie Cruise, 1994
        Paperback $12.95
        184 pages

If you like the benefits of a "full-service" grammar, you might try

        A Comprehensive Russian Grammar
        Terence R. Wade and Michael Holman, 2000
        Paperback, $36.95
        596 pages

or

        Essentials of Russian Grammar: A Complete Guide for Students
and Professionals
        Nicholas Maltzoff, 1984
        Paperback, $17.95
        332 pages

All three books mentioned above are available (either in stock or by
order in about a week) from major bookstores like Borders or Barnes
and Noble.

Jeff

Jeff Holdeman
The Ohio State University