Computer question: Eudora and Russian?

Mon Jul 15 01:39:04 UTC 2002

Steve Marder wrote:

> > It seems that at the moment, Eudora is much too clumsy in this
> > respect to be useful to someone using Cyrillic on a regular basis.
>
> Have you considered experimenting with "Microsoft Entourage"? I just
> sent a message to myself in Cyrillic using "Entourage" and it came
> through in Cyrillic just fine. (The same message forwarded to
> "Outlook Express" and "Eudora" was, not surprisingly, Cyrillicless.)
> The only setting I changed in "Entourage" to enable composing,
> sending, and receiving in Cyrillic was under "General
> Preferences"/"Fonts"/"Default fonts for language," which I
> changed to "Cyrillic." Note: I use a Macintosh under OS X.

No, I had not considered it, largely because I had never heard of it. In
general, given the reputation of Outlook Distress and other MS products
with respect to security, I had not really even looked at them.

My chief reason for considering a switch is Netscape's mild clumsiness
with encodings (you can lie to it successfully, you can trick it) and a
couple of minor issues with the browser. At the moment, my life and my
business are not severely affected, and I could probably go on
indefinitely with these inefficiencies slowing me down a little. I'm
looking for an upgrade to something even better.

You should know that I don't have a mac, and none is in the works.

My original questions were:

1. Anyone using it regularly with Russian? Does it work, and work well,
or should I stay put? Does it cope with the various encodings, including
Unicode?

2. How well does it handle multiple accounts ("personalities"?). Is it
easy to switch from one to another, or is it a hassle?

        [I like Eudora's habit of retrieving mail for all ac-
        counts simultaneously -- that's a real advantage over
        Netscape. -- pbg 7/14/02]

3. I have quite a large collection of folders, old emails, message
filters, and so on in Netscape (Windows Explorer reports a total of some
135 MB of message folders). Will I be able to preserve these (ideally,
import them)? Does Eudora have any limits on the size of this material?
I seem to remember hearing something about keeping folders lean and
mean...

4. Anything else I should know?

If you can recommend a Windows-compatible program that will enable me to
"fly like an eagle," so to speak, I'm sure there are others on the list
who will be happy to hear about it as well.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com