Need collegial advice

Lauren Leighton laurengl at PTWI.NET
Fri Jun 21 14:34:53 UTC 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of Jules Levin
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 3:58 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Need collegial advice

Jules:
You might query interest of the Pushkin Center here at UW, probably via
David Bethea at dmbethea at facstaff.wisc.edu.

Dear Colleagues:
I turn to you for advice.  I am retiring from my position at the University
of California, Riverside as of this June 30.  I am packing up and clearing
out my office.  I hope to carry on research and publications using the
facilities of the UCLA libraries and departments, near where I will be
living, but I have a major space problem regarding my office books and
journals.  My Baltic ling books I am donating to the UCLA Indo-European
library, Slavic books to the UCLA Slavic dept. library, but I suspect
neither facility will want my long run of SEEJ, much less LANGUAGE, and
some other runs.  I simply will not have the space in retirement to keep
them.  Here are my questions:
        Do such journal runs have any monetary value, either intrinsically,
or as
tax deductible donations to libraries?  What are some ways of disposal
(other than dumping in the trash) that would at least benefit the
recipients, and secondarily, me (or at least not cost too much)?  Any
advice, suggestions, would be appreciated, off-line if you wish.
Jules Levin
University of California, Riverside
(soon to be Emeritus, UCLA)