Need collegial advice

george kalbouss kalbouss at MAC.COM
Fri Jun 21 15:45:04 UTC 2002

    Here is what I did with my extra books and journals, it might be of
help.  First of all, there are lots of undergraduate Russian houses around
that would appreciate expanding their libraries.  Secondly, there are many
Russian undergraduate programs about in various colleges which, due to
budgets, late starts in programs, etc., haven't developed extensive
libraries.  Third, there are lots of Community Colleges, many with Russian
speaking populations, which would also appreciate these items.

    I followed my first impulse and donated books and journals to the
college where my daughter attended.  I was able to cull their library
holdings and give them what they didn't have.  Then, I gave a substantial
amount of books to the college's Russian house.  Do you have any children,
grandchildren, other relatives, who attended colleges with Russian programs?
What about former graduate students who are now faculty, and frequently the
only ones teaching Russian? I was surprised that most libraries do not have
complete runs of journals such as SEEJ or Slavic Review, and appreciate the
fillers.  What was left over I gave to a community college which supported
us when Ohio State was trying to close down our department.

    The gifts are tax deductible, so you can save a little on taxes. Not
being a tax lawyer I hesitate to give more advice than this, except to say
that Russian books, with their limited editions, tend to go up in value,
rather than down.  A lot of a book's value is in the eye of the beholder, so
I wouldn't be claiming huge amounts of money.

    Good luck

George Kalbouss