Displaying Cyrillic in OE and IE under Mac OS X

Steve Marder asred at COMCAST.NET
Thu Jun 27 11:55:24 UTC 2002

Dear Seelangers,

Previously, under System 9.2.2, I was able to compose e-mail in Cyrillic
using Outlook Express. I was also able to display in Cyrillic received mail
written in Cyrillic. Now, under OS X, I find I am unable to display Cyrillic
in either incoming or outgoing messages in Outlook Express. The rendering of
incoming Russian mail is in the form of question marks. Is this unicode? How
must I set up my Preferences ‹ or what other changes must be made ‹ in order
for me to be able to display Cyrillic in Outlook Express under OS X?

As far as the Internet Explorer browser is concerned, under OS X (10.1.5, to
be exact), I am able to have the majority of Russian-language Web pages I
access display Cyrillic properly ‹ with the notable exception of pages
encoded in KOI-8. (Mind you, I was never successful in displaying KOI-8 Web
pages under System 9.2.2 either) How must I modify my browser settings so
that KOI-8 displays properly?

As the above is unlikely to be of interest to the majority of Seelangers,
anyone with helpful suggestions is urged to contact me off-list.

Steve Marder
asred at comcast.net