help choosing a selection from Russian literature

Alan Ball acball at EXECPC.COM
Thu Jun 27 22:37:42 UTC 2002

I teach Russian history at Marquette University and am currently
assembling a set of readings for students in a course to be offered next
fall.  For one of our discussions I would like to have the students
compare two works of fiction: (1) something written after 1991 in which
the author features a character who initially believes in (or at least
accepts without question) the Soviet system but then becomes disillusioned
with it; and (2) a relatively short story (as opposed to a novel) written
in the early Soviet period that describes a character who at first accepts
the tsarist system but then grows disenchanted shortly before or after
1917.

I’m in good shape for the first part of this reading load (novels/stories
written after 1991), but I’d be most grateful if anyone could suggest a
few stories written in the early Soviet period (before World War II, or,
for that matter, in the last ten or fifteen years before 1917).  Best of
all might be something involving eventual disillusionment with the father
tsar and his government, though other variations include a character who
moves from respect to contempt for such institutions as the church or the
hierarchical structure of society.

I need to keep the total reading load manageable for the week, so for the
early-Soviet portion of the assignment I would be most interested in
stories of roughly 100 pages or less.  This is the heart of my problem,
for if I were free to select novels, the task would be simpler.  The
stories, by the way, should be in English translation but do not need to
be in print (in fact, I’m assuming that they won’t be).  I’ll just xerox
whatever looks most suitable and put it on reserve.

Thank you very much for any suggestions that you may be able to offer.

Alan Ball