help choosing a selection from Russian literature

Christopher Tessone tessone at POLYGLUT.NET
Fri Jun 28 00:53:35 UTC 2002

Dear Alan,

I would suggest possibly "Omon Ra" by Pelevin for the recent work, as
long as it wouldn't be too lengthy.  It's a novel, but relatively short.
I'm certain it's available in translation.

As for the short story, how about "Khanskij Ogon'" ("The Khan Fire") by
Bulgakov?  It's not as black-and-white as you requested, but then, when
is life ever black-and-white?  :-)

Cheers,
Chris