"propiska" query

Tatiana Osipovich tatiana at LCLARK.EDU
Mon Mar 4 19:06:26 UTC 2002

One of our  students is interested in the history of "propiska"
in the USSR and the status of this issue now.
Here is her query:

Hi, my name is Jessica Dzieweczynski.  I'm a senior this year working on
my East Asian Studies thesis, I'm planning on incorporating Russia's
propiska system with that of China's and I was wondering if you would be
able to tell me where I could find primary sources on this issue. I'm
particularly interested in the debates on the abolishment and re-issuing
the registration system in Moscow (in English).

Please reply off list. Thanks,
Tatiana Osipovich