modifiers declension question (Russian language question)

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Thu Mar 7 16:35:52 UTC 2002

Dear SEELANGers,

I have a pretty weak background in historical linguistics, but an abiding
interest. Two questions have been bugging me about modifiers when teaching
Russian & I was wondering if any linguists out there could answer them.

First: Why is the modifier ending for мой/твой/свой -ей and not -ёй as it
should be? That is to say that these possessive pronouns SHOULD have the
usual -ой ending, which would manifest itself as моёй твоёй, итд. but
instead we get моей, итд. This inexplicable shift in endings causes my
elementary Russian students no end of trouble, and I want to give them some
reasonable explanation rather than just saying (as I do now) that languages
are arbitrary and capricious. Is there a historical explanation for this
"irregularity"? I've always assumed some sort of South Slavic influence.

Second: When did gender distinction in the plural disappear from Russian? I
seem to remember that other Slavic languages (viz. Czech) keep a distinction
between feminine and masculine modifiers and nouns in the plural. Russian
doesn't, though it appears that all adjectives are marked as masculine
(-ых, -ым, etc) and the nouns are all marked feminine (-ах, -ых, etc.) in
the plural. Is that observation right? In what other Slavic languages did
gender remain in the plural? Is the disappearance a mark of all E. Slavic
languages?

Sorry for the amateurish questions -- I looked for explanations in what few
resources I have and couldn't find an answer.

Michael A. Denner
Russian Studies Department
Campus Unit 8361
Stetson University