Russ. zajti : vojti

Andrei and Stephanie Zaitsev zaitsevs at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Mar 9 00:19:46 UTC 2002

I would say that VOITI and ZAITI might be replaceable and incompatible
within the same context. The reason is that, on the one hand, these verbs
have different meanings: voiti = to enter; zaiti = to stop by. On the other
hand, semantic component: 'to walk in' is common for both verbs.

VOITI # ZAITI (On voshiol v komnatu. Vs. On zashiol v komnatu za gazetoi.)
The sentence 'On zashiol v komnatu' sounds wrong because the context doesn't
allow the meaning 'for a short time' - he walked into the room and he is
here (vs. On zakhodil v komnatu. - which is fine.).  Also, 'On voshiol v
komnatu za gazetoi' sounds wrong because 'on voshiol' means 'he is still
here' but 'za gazetoi' (he was outside, he was looking for gazeta, he
stepped into komnata, he found gazeta, he walked out),- is a purpose for a
short 'step in' (compare to: On vkhodil v komnatu za gazetoi. - which sounds
ok.)

VOITI = ZAITI (On voshiol v komnatu i skazal..... = On zashiol v komnatu i
skazal.....) In both sentences, the component of meaning 'to walk in' is
highlighted while the component of 'for a short time' (expressed by 'zaiti')
is not relevant for this particular context. That is why both verbs may be
use as synonyms.

I might be wrong.

Andrei Zaitsev